+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1 to 1 balun

1 to 1 balun

Hi, I am building a 10 to 80 meter inverted V antenna and I want to run RG-8X to the feed point. I hear I should use a 1 to 1 balun. I can make one using 18 feet of RG-8X I have in the shack. Do I need more than 18 feet and what diameter should the coil be at the feed point. I will be using 24 gauge stranded/coated wire and up 40 feet.
    Thank you,
    Gary KC7EGF

Old Phart
    To make your wire antenna more broadbanded I would suggest using 450 ohm ladderline and just use a 4:1 current balun either from your external tuner,or better yet use the 4:1 just outside your shack and feed it with a short run of coax,then run the ladderline from the balun up to your feed point.Just sayin'....
    -george
    N7LOH
    radioactive since 1990
    I even glow in the dark

Tuesday night swap net
    Gary if you do a search for the ugly balun you should find the information that you are looking for though it is more of a choke than a balun. I used a 2 liter bottle for mine at the base of my beam it seems to work fine for me. All the inverted V that i have put up work fine with out one but putting one in line wouldnt hurt.
    KC7NHT
    Cyrel

PODXS 070 member #1331
    EPC member #14448
    PRA Board Member

I made one from RG-6 wound around a drainpipe fitting. What I read on the abovementioned "ugly balun" links said that the total length of coax needed to be about 10 ft for 80m and 20 ft for 160m. I am going to try the 75 ohm RG-6 because it is just a good of match to a dipole as 50 ohm line is and my radio tuner can match it up in the shack. I used a 4" abs drainpipe coupler with 8 wraps that should be about 11 feet of coax. I have not yet attached the copperweld or put up this homebrew..... thing. If is bombs I will 'fess up.

KF7NAY - Sean

Tuesday night swap net
    If that doesnt work try hooking to the drain pipe and gutter would Drain pipe quilfy as a waveguide ?
    KC7NHT
    Cyrel

PODXS 070 member #1331
    EPC member #14448
    PRA Board Member